It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:47 am

August 12, 2009: "1989" 
Site Admin

Post August 12, 2009: "1989"
Click here to read topic.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: August 12, 2009: "1989"
I don't want to say goodbye to this saga....sigh, it was very a very interesting read

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:11 pm
Finally, these are starting to bring back movie going memories for me. My brother and I saw Star Trek V together. He was 14 and I was 9. I loved Shatner falling off a cliff, but thought that the god thing at the end was kind of scary. When my mom asked me how it was on the ride home, I was very non-committal. I liked it because it was Star Trek, but thought it was kinda stupid and pointless too. Of course my brother loved it because it was Star Trek. I thought Batman was overrated at the time. It just wasn't all that exciting for me.

My best friend bailed on me at the last minute and I went to see Christmas Vacation the day after Christmas in 1989 by myself. I really liked it, although some of the humor went right over my head. I just liked all the physical humor and the crazy old couple. And of course the Squirrel. As a farm kid, I thought it was just so funny to see people almost scared to death of a little rodent like that.

I'm kinda disappointed you're not reviewing Field of Dreams. I live about 25 miles away from the ball field. I remember first seeing the move in 1990 and just shocked by how many places I knew. The name of my high school is visible in the gym. I would rate it as the best baseball movie ever.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 pm
Director

I liked Batman, Christmas Vacation is average, nearly loved Licence to kill and beginning to believe that Major leauge isn't as funny as i first thought. Please write stories about the '90s, I miss the '90s.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:02 pm
Profile YIM
Some of my earliest memories of going to the movies were seeing films like "Batman", "Back to the Future II", "Ghostbusters II", and "Star Trek V" back in 1989.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:37 pm
I do remember being 10 years old and loving Batman that summer. My favorite movie memory that year was New Years Eve. My dad and sister were gone somewhere so my mom rented two movies for us to stay up and watch. Robocop and Alien. Yeah, I know, you don't have to tell me, she is awesome.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:24 pm
Once again, a fascinating read, I also found Batman overrated after seeing it on TV or Batman Returns cause ot be honest I always found burton to be pretty overrated as he often depends too much on atmosphere and not enough on story for me. as for Black Rain, well it was both Ridley Scott's and Michael Douglas's worst film ever and it took me an act of will not to hit the fast-forward button while watching it, I loved both Halloween 5 and NOES 5. But I absolutely HATED Dead Poets Society, it's easily one of the single most sickeningly overrated films of all time IMO :evil: :roll: , it's to me what Terms of Endearment was to James(barring the chance that he changes his mind about TOE when he re-reviews it)Back To The Future acutally wasn't too bad to me, yeah it some big plot holes but it was still fun. I also didn't mind Star Trek V so much, course I was never much of a Trek fan so that's not saying much. Loved Licence To Kill, which I first saw last month, wished Dalton could've done at least one more Bond film, i never saw most of the Oscar titles as I can't recall ever liking a single Oscar nominated film much, one underrated film I loved form this year that's mostly forgotten about today was the Kiefer Sutherland and Lou Diamond Phillips action film-Renegades, that was pretty damn fun, i'm pretty sure that was one of those "forgettable" films James mentioned. Anyways I was hoping James would do Reelthoughts and reviews for the years 1990, 1991 and 1992 since those yeras did retain a lot of elements from the 80s.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:00 am
A couple thousand words dedicated to 1989 in film and not even a passing mention of Do the Right Thing?

For shame, sir

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:32 am
Kyle wrote:
A couple thousand words dedicated to 1989 in film and not even a passing mention of Do the Right Thing?

For shame, sir

100% agree, though it is a 4 star review !
Rob

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:46 am
Sorry to be nitpicking, but the end of the Eastern Block started much earlier in 1989 than November. In April 1989, the Polish anti-Communist trade union Solidarnosz was allowed to run for elections for the Polish parliament, effectively bringing an end to the regime. Hungary followed as the second nation to reject Communist rule and opened its borders to Austria some time in the summer. This is why, over the summer, many East Germans tried to go west via the CSSR and Hungary and ended holed up in West German embassies in Prague and Budapest, which created a rather tense situation.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:50 am
A wonderful series. Thank you!

You know, if this were a book, a sort of memoir from a popular internet movie critic about movies in the 80s, padded (or rather enhanced) with key movie reviews, I would read it if the back cover sold it right.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:07 am
"I saw Sea of Love there in mid-September, followed by Black Rain (the Michael Douglas one, not the documentary)"

[Reveal] Spoiler:
?!!!??**&^%YHUTHY%GTREYHETCSD GWERREGWE^TR#%DWERFWETRT

IUHY
\
PLIOPOIOP *X8DCX*(7___+632!!! FRANCE FKTGROEDNRJ

~!!!11111111

Poor Imamura...

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:24 pm
Kyle wrote:

For shame, sir

Oh yeah forgot about that one, I honestly found that movie somewhat overrated, and you can go ahead and cry blasphemy for me saying that, I watched that film because I was assigned to do an oral report on a famous African-American figure and I chose Spike Lee despite not having a clue as to who he was at the time, it just wasn't my type of film I guess, though I have always wanted to see Bamboozled despite it's not-so-good reviews.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 pm
Kyle wrote:

For shame, sir

That's exactly what I got on here to post.

I'm assuming James didn't see it in 1989, but I'm still a tad big surprised that he didn't even mention it since he obviously agrees that it's one of the most important films of 1989.

I too must express disappointment at seeing the series come to an end. It's been an exceptionaly enjoyable read. We all know that James's writing style is not highly schmaltzy or emotional, and many love him for that reason. But I think this was a wonderful case of bridging the gap between the personal and the professional while retaining a cinema-minded heart. I think readers got a peek at James the person, but more than that, I think this series produced a much clearer picture of James the moviegoer. The evolution of a film-lover, if you will. It's a tightrope few could walk (so often the "personal" writing of critics is either uninteresting or standoffish), and James traversed it masterfully, and has my sincere applause and appreciation.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:05 pm
Shade wrote:
I too must express disappointment at seeing the series come to an end. It's been an exceptionaly enjoyable read. We all know that James's writing style is not highly schmaltzy or emotional, and many love him for that reason. But I think this was a wonderful case of bridging the gap between the personal and the professional while retaining a cinema-minded heart. I think readers got a peek at James the person, but more than that, I think this series produced a much clearer picture of James the moviegoer. The evolution of a film-lover, if you will. It's a tightrope few could walk (so often the "personal" writing of critics is either uninteresting or standoffish), and James traversed it masterfully, and has my sincere applause and appreciation.

Damnit...I wish I could write.

Excellent post here and I heartily agree.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:14 pm
Wait,please fill me in.
Why is it ending
Wont James continue in the 90's?

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:35 am
What i remember most about 1989 was that it was the beginning of the HUGE opening weekend era. I remember Batman having something like a 40 mil opening weekend that shocked everyone at the time. Nobody thought that was even possible.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:32 pm
Quote:
Back to the Future II, the disappointing follow-up to the beloved 1985 action/comedy time-traveling tale, had the day before Thanksgiving all to itself.

I feel compelled to ask what made the sequal disappointing in your eyes. I personally felt it was as strong as the original, albiet for different reasons.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:11 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I'm not sure what Evenflow8112 is trying to say. Did you like Black Rain or not?

Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:22 pm
Kyle wrote:

For shame, sir

Also noticeably left out - Say Anything - although he's already reviewed both of these films so he probably felt that there was no need to mention them again.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:25 pm